B + Me = love

B + Me = love

1.29.2010

29 weeks 4 days

They say I have gestational diabetes.
I say they are rotten people.

This week, I was told this information upon my failure to pass the 3 hour Glucose Test that was administered on Saturday morning. What they did was give me a sugary liquid to drink at 8 am - a drink that has the equivalent sugar content of two cans of Mt. Dew.
Then, they proceed to draw blood 1, 2 and 3 hours after the consumption of this vile liquid (albeit "fruit punch" flavored). 
Side note: I wonder why they take an entire vile of blood each hour while, in contrast, the blood sugar testing done at home requires only one drop. Hrm...

The first steps in "treating" this condition is to put me on a diet that restricts the amount of carbohydrates that I consume at each sitting and throughout the day. I must test my blood sugar levels four times per day; first thing in the morning (fasting), 1 hour after breakfast, 1 hour after lunch, and 1 hour after dinner. Lame.

On top of this, I am supposed to pee on a piece of paper and match it to some colors to see if I'm getting the correct amount of food each day. Nice.

This regimen makes me irritated. But what really tips me over the edge is that my blood sugar levels aren't meeting their standards. Which means they will most likely try to put me on medicine...of which I do not want. Either way, the hospital will be extra vigilant during the birth (read "interventions") which I do not want. They say the baby may be "too big" and they will probably suggest inducing her using Pitocin or other medications - which I do not want. If she is "too big" then she may get stuck and require "assistance" (read vacuum or forceps) - uh, I don't think so.  Or if she is "too big" it may require a c-section - which I do not want. Plus, after she is born they would want to do tests right away to be sure that her blood sugar isn't too low because of her prolonged exposure to my high blood sugar and her overproduction of insulin (read "I will stick your baby for blood work as soon as I have my hands on her) - uh, I don't think so.

I'm so disappointed. I need to speak with some midwives to see if they will work with me at home. And I need to do this - FAST.

No comments:

Post a Comment